Weight loss is for life, not just for Summer

Hi, welcome to my blog. My name is Éabha and I am 23 years old. For as long as I can remember I have been overweight. This blog is all about my weight loss journey, both the highs and lows. I hope that it will keep me motivated and inspire others who are in the same situation as me.

Tuesday 2 April 2013

Jillian Michaels Banish Fat Boost Metabolism

As part of my April fitness challenge I am trying out new workout DVDs. Banish Fat Boost Metabolism (BFBM) is a new addition to my collection. It is part of a boxset which I ordered from Amazon. This DVD is seen as a cardio workout but it is no ordinary cardio DVD. It is one of the toughest workouts I have ever done. I am by no means fit so if you are fitter, it could be easier for you.

It is broken down into six circuits, each around six minutes long. The circuits consist of kick-boxing, calisthenics, plyometrics and core workouts. Take it a circuit at a time. Do not focus on how many circuits you have done or have left to do.

One of the main critiques of this DVD is that there are no weights. If you do regular weight programmes then this is a nice break. However just because Jillian does not use weights does not mean you do not have to. Incorporate weights into the exercises. I did this and while it was painful, I could feel it working my arms. In the breakdown of the circuits below, I will state where you could possibly add weights. For the kickboxing sections, it is important to keep your arms raised when doing kicks. This is part of kickboxing and it makes sure you are using your arms.

The other thing to note is that some of these exercises can be tough on your joints. Do not let this put you off. Do not stop, just alternate the moves. It is better to keep moving than not to finish. As you get closer to the end, you will be tired and sore so you may find changing to easier moves will help you finish it out.

For some moves, I do not know the official name or there may not be one. I will try my best to describe the exercise.

Circuit 1 - Kickboxing:
Squat and side kick (one leg)
Squat and punch (can use weights)
Squat and side kick (other leg)
Combination - jab, cross, hook and elbow (make sure to move your legs accordingly to get full impact of workout)
Repeat from top

Circuit 2 - Plyometrics:
Burpees
Pulses and jump
Punches and jump
Squat and twist (180 degree jump)
Jump from leg to leg
Repeat from top

Circuit 3 - Calisthenics:
Running bum kicks (weights)
Running high knees
Jumping jacks
Oblique crunches (put one hand behind your head, raise one leg to side while lowering you elbow to meet leg)
Oblique crunches (opposite side)
Repeat from top

Circuit 4 - Core:
Mountain climbers
Superman
Full body crunches (lie on your back, lift your arms and legs to meet in the middle)
Oblique twists (push up position, twist knee to meet opposite elbow)
Walking plank (in plank position and lift yourself up using your arms. You can stay on your knees for this one but I would recommend trying it in full plank and just do as many as you can. It is a really effective exercise so you want to get the full impact of it.)
Repeat from top

Circuit 5 - Kickboxing:
Swing kicks (alternate legs. Swing you leg around, keeping it straight)
Upper cuts (squat and punch straight up. Can use weights)
Back kicks (alternate legs)
Squat and punch (weights)
Knee crunches (step back and pull your knee up to chest. Do not lunge back as it will make it harder)
Repeat from top

Circuit 6 - Plyometrics:
Jump squats (make sure to do the arm movements as shown. They help work the stomach)
Cross-country skiing
Scissor kicks (squat and kick your legs together)
Skaters (jump side to side in an ice-skating motion)
Standing mountain climbers (this is extremely tough so if you can't do it running, walk it through instead)
Repeat from top

Circuit 7 - Core/Cardio:
Jump twists
Standing crunches (left your leg straight up and bring both arms to meet it, alternate legs)
Knee crunches (one leg, bring leg towards chest)
Knee crunches (other leg)
Jump rope
Repeat from top

Rating: 5/5. I think this is a great workout. It is not a weight based workout but more cardio based. It is a not change from doing weights and you still get a really tough workout. As I said you can incorporate weights into it. It is such a good all over body workout. You really do work every muscle in the body. I cannot speak for the results yet but follow my fitness challenge to find out how I get on.



No comments:

Post a Comment