Weight loss is for life, not just for Summer

Hi, welcome to my blog. My name is Éabha and I am 23 years old. For as long as I can remember I have been overweight. This blog is all about my weight loss journey, both the highs and lows. I hope that it will keep me motivated and inspire others who are in the same situation as me.

Monday 15 April 2013

Recipe Time

I have not really posted many recipes since I started the blog. I have not really made any meals, more wanting quick and easy dinners. Kind of sums up my attitude to WW in recent months. I made a big effort at the weekend to try some new recipes. The BBC Recipe website is great for recipes and meal ideas. All you have to do is switch the ingredients to more WW friendly items. I have a good few recipes to share with over the coming weeks. I will start with my new favourite, gammon steaks with colcannon mash and white sauce. I also have a great lunch recipe, smoked salmon pate. It is really versatile as can be served with brown bread or crackerbread or whatever takes your liking.

Gammon Steak with Colcannon Mash and White Sauce
Serves: 4
I unfortunately could not get the smooth white sauce.
First time making it so not too bad!
ProPoints per Serving: 10pps

Ingredients:
4 gammon steaks

For the Colcannon
1.5kg floury potatoes
100g low fat butter
500g green cabbage (I used kale), sliced
250ml hot, skimmed milk
salt and pepper

For the White Sauce
25g low fat butter
25g plain flour
600ml skimmed milk
salt and pepper

Method:
Cook the potatoes in boiling salted water until soft.
Drain the water and mash with half the butter.
Heat a pan until hot and add the remaining butter, two tbsp of water and the sliced cabbage. Cook over medium heat for 5-7 minutes, stirring frequently, until just cooked through.


Add the cabbage mixture to the potatoes, then add most of the hot milk. Do not pour in all the milk as you may not need it all. Season to taste, with salt and pepper, and beat until creamy and smooth. Add more milk if necessary to achieve your preferred consistency.
Meanwhile, for the sauce, melt the butter in a saucepan.
Stir in the flour and cook for 1-2 minutes.
Take the pan off the heat and gradually stir in the milk to get a smooth sauce. Return to the heat, and stirring all the time, bring to boil.


Simmer gently for 8-10 minutes and season with salt and pepper.
Finally, grill the gammon steak for 8-10 minutes, until cooked.

Smoked Salmon Pate
Serves: 6
ProPoints per Serving: 3

Ingredients:
255g smoked salmon
110g extra light Philadelphia cream cheese
2 tbsp half fat creme de fraiche
2 tbsp chopped chives
pinch of sugar
salt and pepper

Method:
Put all the ingredients into a blender and blend until it has the consistency you desire. Season to taste but remember that smoked salmon is quite salty by itself.

No comments:

Post a Comment